Live your life to the fullest.
Dance as if no one were watching,
Sing as if no one were listening,
And live every day as if it were your last.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sister Teresita Catalano, OSU (b. 1933)

"What happened to you, Hawley?  Were you in the war?"  These were the first words spoken to me by a young Ursuline Sister of Tildonk on the first day of 6th grade in September of 1964 at Our Lady of Victory School in West Haven, CT.  I had broken my wrist falling out of a tree a couple of weeks before school started.  I was terrified . . . nuns were so unapproachable in those days with their long habits and veils with only their faces and hands exposed.  This was not the impression I wanted to make on first day of Catholic school education.

This woman planted the seed for my love of music and,  over time,  I would grow to love her.  Sister Teresita Catalano, OSU was not only my 6th grade teacher but also the accompanist for the chorus and played the organ at church.  I loved to watch her play and how I wished I could play the piano too.  Never really thought about that until I met her and, because of her, I started taking piano lessons in 8th grade.  She gave me my first vocal solos in chorus and always encouraged me to keep on singing.  She was a good woman . . . everything a nun should be.  When she was transferred at the end of 7th grade I remember going home and crying like baby.  I just could not imagine Our Lady of Victory School without Sister Teresita.

Thanks to the internet, I tracked Sister Teresita down and actually talked to her for the first time in 44 years shortly after the first of this year.  She remembered me, in great detail to be honest, by recounting some stories that involved both me and my mother That first phone conversation was over 90 minutes long.  It was so good to hear her voice again and to be able to speak to her as an adult.  She is currently retired living at St. William the Abbott Convent in Seaford, Long Island.  When she left our Lady of Victory she went onto several other teaching positions and a principalship before retiring after 52 years in education.  This September she will celebrate the 60th anniversary of her final vows. I have spoken to her a couple of times now and will continue to  remember her throughout the year with cards, letters and phone calls.  I sent her a CD of 26 selections I had performed over the years in recitals because if it wasn't for her,  I doubt that I would have ever pursued a career in music.  What a remarkable woman she is and her influence on my life will never be forgotten





Sister Teresita (Fall 2009)






A recent note from Sister (April 2010)



Recently found picture of Sister Teresita (c. 1965)
Our Lady of Victory School (West Haven, CT)

No comments:

Post a Comment