Live your life to the fullest.
Dance as if no one were watching,
Sing as if no one were listening,
And live every day as if it were your last.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Kate Smith (1907-1986)

How well I remember Kate Smith.  My father was a huge fan and I recall vividly him calling to me when she was on television.  I think I fell in love with that voice because of him . . .  he had good taste.  Of course her career started on radio decades before I was born but I do remember those days in the 1960's to mid 70's when variety shows such as  Ed Sullivan, Hollywood Palace, Sonny & Cher and Donny & Marie, etc  were at their peak.   Kate Smith was on all of them.  Even at that young age I recollect being impressed by the size and range of her voice.  My father would say, "wait until you hear the note she hits at the end".  She had a powerful voice when she wanted to use it in those big songs such as  The Impossible Dream, As Long As He Needs Me, More and God Bless America and Tommy Smothers would say, "When Kate Smith sings Climb Every Mountain you want to put your hiking boots on" . . . how true.  It wasn't until I was much older that I discovered that she certainly hadn't been limited to those "gut busters".  She had great presence and poise on stage and in interviews,  she exhibited true grace and humility.  When she was introduced to the King of England during WWII by F.D.R. he said, "This is Kate Smith . . . this IS America".   Understandably, she had a very long career and, unfortunately, there is no one like her today.







No comments:

Post a Comment