Live your life to the fullest.
Dance as if no one were watching,
Sing as if no one were listening,
And live every day as if it were your last.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sister Paula Carey, OSU (1919-2010)

Sister Paula Carey, OSU was my 8th grade teacher at Our Lady of Victory School in West Haven, CT in 1966.  She conducted the chorus along with Sister Teresita (see earlier post) and she was a typical "Irish Redhead" . . .  I mean that in a good way.  Of course, I didn't see her hair until my last year at the school when the traditional habits changed but I wasn't surprised that her hair was red!  She was born in Ireland and had a thick Irish brogue.  I remember her telling us that she never had corned beef and cabbage until she came to America.  She always encouraged me to sing and was very complimentary about my voice which changed early into a rather deep baritone.

I attempted to track her down on the internet at the same time I was looking for Sister Teresita.  I finally did locate her in late 2009 at the Ursuline Retirement Center in Blue Point, New York and forwarded her my address and phone number through one of the staff members but I guess it was too late.  I heard later through Sister Teresita that Sister Paula was gravely ill.  I wish I had looked for her earlier so I could have told her how much she had influenced my life.  Sister died on June 8, 2010 just a little short of her 91st. birthday.  Rest in peace, Sister Paula . . .  you were a true servant of God.  Below you will find the obituary from the Ursuline Sisters of Tildonk's website.



Sister Paula Carey, OSU
(from my Class Graduation Picture, 1967)





Sister Paula Carey, OSU 
Our Lady of Victory Parish (West Haven, CT)  February 11, 1967



Sister Paula Carey, OSU died June 8, 2010 at the St. Ursula Center Convent in Blue Point, NY. She was born July 18,1919. She entered the congregation of the Ursuline Sisters of Tildonk on August 24, 1938 and professed her final vows six years later. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in Education, and a Bachelor of Arts degree in French from Fordham University; a diploma in Catechetics from Lumen Vitae in Brussels, Belgium and a Diploma in Liturgy from Liturgical Institute in Carlow, Ireland.

Sr. Paula ministered for many years as a teacher. Her ministry was extensive and included teaching at Our Lady of Grace in Howard Beach, NY from 1944-1963; Our Lady of Victory in West Haven, CT from 1963-1968; Holy Family High School in Huntington, NY from 1968-1969; St. William the Abbot in Seaford, NY from 1969 to 1984; St. Gregory the Great in Bellerose, NY from 1985-1989, and Our Lady of Hope, Middle Village, NY from 1990-1992.

After retiring from teaching, Sr. Paula ministered as a Pastoral Minister, visiting the sick and homebound parishioners of St. Gregory the Great Parish in Bellerose.

In 2000, after many years of active service, Sr. Paula retired in Blue Point where she continued in a ministry of prayer.
She is survived by her nieces Eileen Connolly, Maura Morgan, & Paula McElroy and many grandnieces and a grandnephew.

Her funeral mass was celebrated June 10th at the St. Ursula Center Chapel in Blue Point, NY followed by internment at the cemetery of the Ursuline Sisters in Blue Point.



Sister Paula Carey, OSU 1919-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment