Live your life to the fullest.
Dance as if no one were watching,
Sing as if no one were listening,
And live every day as if it were your last.

Friday, July 9, 2010

James Furman (1937-1989)




He was the Leonard Bernstein of Western Connecticut State College:  composer, conductor, lecturer, author, teacher and pianist.  To many of his students he was "Sir James" or just "Jim",  but to me he was always "Mr. Furman".  James Furman was my private voice teacher in college from 1971-75.  He was quite a character and he never ceased to amaze me.  Early on he began calling me "Georgio" and that was how he usually referred to me except for the year I was president of the chorus and then it was always "Mr President".  I learned so much from him.  Not necessarily on how to sing but more on how to interpret music  . . .  phrasing and nuance were his strengths, not technique.  When they say there is a thin line between genius and insanity this certainly would apply to Mr. Furman.   The simplest tasks were difficult (making coffee, unlocking a door, lighting a pipe, playing a simple ditty on the piano) and it amazed me that after living in his apartment on Moss Avenue in Danbury for YEARS that he never knew that the additional door in his living room/bedroom did not lead into the apartment next door but rather was a second closet!  On the other hand,  his knowledge of music was incredible and he was walking encyclopedia.  I have known another person who could read a full orchestral score by sight and reduce it to the piano. Mr. Furman was an extraordinarily passionate and caring man who was always concerned about the well being of his students and he knew what was important to them.  One of my prized full opera recordings ("The Siege of Corinth" by Rossini) which Beverly Sills performed as her debut at the Metropolitan Opera in 1975, was given to me as a gift by Mr. Furman for my senior recital.   He gave me so many opportunities:  solos in several concerts (Bach cantatas and Charles Ives' "General William Booth Enters Into Heaven) a member of an alumni vocal sextet in a transcription of the Beethoven "Grosse Fugue" with the Manhattan String Quartet and, most importantly,  recreating the role of Martin Luther King in his oratorio "I Have A Dream" in 1976.

He was a wonderful man who died to soon.  It still surprises me that he was only 16 years my senior and it seems impossible that he has already been gone for 21 years.  I miss him terribly.  My good friend Stacey David-Severn has put up a wonderful blog in tribute of Mr. Furman.  Please check it out here: James Furman, American Composer


 "I Have A Dream" program and autographed score




Mr. Furman's card to me with the recording of "The Siege of Corinth"

No comments:

Post a Comment