Live your life to the fullest.
Dance as if no one were watching,
Sing as if no one were listening,
And live every day as if it were your last.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Other Musical Influences

The seven people below were very important in my musical development.  I wish I knew them all better and had asked more questions about their lives and backgrounds.  None the less, I am most appreciative for their contributions.


Mother Genevieve Delaney, OSU:
     My first piano teacher at Our Lady of Victory School (West Haven, CT)  I started piano late while I was in 8th grade (13-14 years old)

Mrs. Helen Jamieson:
     Mrs. Jamieson was the organist/choir director at Our Lady of Victory Church.  I first met her when I began to lead the singing at three masses after Vatican II around 1966.  She played the organ at two of the three Masses I lead in those days.  She was a real character and she would always crack me up.  She wore BIG hats and you could pick her out in a crowd.  In those days I was just beginning to take piano lessons from Mother Genevieve and Mrs. Jamieson encouraged me to learn the organ too since there could many opportunities in the future.  She began giving me some "pointers" on organ technique vs. piano technique and use of the pedals . . . how much fun . . . I loved it!  Little by little she would let me play a hymn during the Mass and eventually turned the 12:15 Mass over to me!  She was such a kind and encouraging woman.  I remember her telling me, "When you make a mistake on the organ try to make the same mistake on the next verse.  This way the congregation will think that must be how the music is written."  What a hoot!

Mrs. Martin Reiss:
     My second piano teacher while I was attending West Haven (CT) High School.  Wish she stressed fingering and technique  more to me but, in all honesty, I was more interested in having fun than practicing seriously.   She was a very nice lady and I was good friends then with her son Martin.

Miss Pauline Chapman:
     My high school choral director sophomore and junior year (couldn't schedule during 9th grade).  I found her to be an inspiration and we did great works with her (i.e. Vivaldi's "Gloria" and all the great Randall Thompson pieces, etc.).  She left West Haven High School the summer before my senior year and accepted a position at an American Embassy School in London I believe.  She was tough and demanding but I was crazy about her.

Mr. Louis Negri:
     My choral director during senior year.  He was the one who suggested that I pursue a career in music. Never really thought about it seriously before that time.  He continued a great tradition at West Haven High School and was incredibly good to me.

Mr. Thomas Clancy:
     My private voice teacher for about three years while I was in high school.  A wonderful man and teacher who gave me whatever technique I have.  Wish I knew more about him.  Had a beautiful tenor voice and besides singing and giving voice lessons, he also made records (yes, vinyl records) in his studio.  Every time I was there I felt like I was living in the early 1900's  Mr. Clancy's studio was located on the second floor of the Palladium Building on Orange Street in New Haven.  At the time the only other tenant in this 3 or 4 story building (besides a couple of shops  at street level) was a costume shop (don't recall the name). Wish I investigated this building more with its huge steep staircases and very high ceilings.  I would wait in the hall outside his studio if he was still giving a lesson when I arrived and my mind would race imagining if only those walls could talk.  If my memory serves me correctly the building was built in 1855 and I just found it fascinating but also worried that if I wondered around I would probably end up crashing through the floors.

Mr. Laurence Honan:
     My private piano teacher at Western Connecticut State College.  How I loved going to lessons!  He really challenged me like no one before ever did.   I wish I had him as a piano teacher from a young age.  He had some phenomenal private students who still include his name on their professional resumes  today.  He was always a bit suspicious of the music faculty (especially the department head) but he was a great guy and I think I had a wonderful relationship with him as a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment